Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 7

Another very exciting day in Paris! I just can't believe how much there is to see! Everywhere wego there is amazing architecture and famous places. I feel like I have seen all the big famous places but I am sure that tomorrow there will be way more that I have yet to discover.

Today we woke up at about 10. We both were up late updating blogs and people back home, sowe slept in. This was okay because we only have devotional at 13h on Tuesdays. We met withour group and had a cool meeting. Our director, who is Catholic, wanted us to talk about whatit was like being a member of the church here, coming from Provo, Utah. Quite a few people said that they felt a lose of religiosity, but I said I felt the opposite. Maybe it is because Michael is part of the missionary effort here and Paris to me means missionary work because of Michael's letters.

I forgot to mention that as I walked into the church this afternoon-there were all the missionaries! They were just on their ay out. they were going to do findings at Chartres I think. It was funny because I finally met the other elders Michael lives with and they were giving him a hard time because he had spilled some stuff on his white shirt. I asked him where his tide-to-go pen was that mom sent him and he said he had forgot it at home. I grabbed mine out of my bag and told him to take it. All the missionaries thought that was funny! I guess it is kind of weird to have someone watching out for you like that on the mission. Michael looked kind of shocked/surprised and then go a huge smile on his face and said thanks! It was so fun to be the older sister watching out for him again!

But I also think that it is because God is so present here. Maybe not in a current way that I amuse to, but in a way that you can't find in the United States. All around us are beautiful cathedrals where at some point, people striving to be nearer to their God, built them to worship. Even though they are very tourist and most of the religion is not present in a way that it is in a normal church or in the temple, I still feel a strong spirit when I think of what it means that people hundreds of years before me and clear across the world, believed in our Heavenly Father.

Allyson and I went to lunch with Taylor, Spencer, Berit and Shae. I had some weird sandwich-'chicken chicka frites'-it was okay with all the garlic sauce they put on. After that we decided to do a 'Paris walk.' I am taking a three credit class called Paris walks and you just walk around and look at every thing.

We went on a walk past all the stuff that is posted below. I will let you figure out what it all is, but it was amazing!!!

We had dinner with our host family tonight. Four courses two hours and a birthday cake for me! We had shrimp, that still had their eyes on and I ate one! I was so proud of myself. Then we had chicken and potatoes that almost looked like tater tots. Then we had our cheese course, and then my opera cake.

I dont have much more to say, the pictures here are worth way more than a thousand words, so I will leave the rest to them.
First view of the Arc de Triomphe
Government Building


Palais d'Elysee
American Flag in France-it was nice to see!
British Embassy
Place de la Concorde view

Luxor Obelisk
Place de la Concorde

Jardin des Tuileries

L'arc de Triomphe de Carrousel


Le Louvre







L'arc de Triomphe




View from the top of the Arc



We noticed that we can see the eiffel tower from our house!

2 comments:

  1. I just caught myself up on your blog. I loved it! You have so much material =) It looks and sounds like you are having the most incredible time. I'm so happy you get to experience living there!! Keep updating! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blog and the pictures...especially when you are in them. I also like the subtitles for we francophobes!

    ReplyDelete