Today was so long!!! We did so much. I am going to have a hard time remembering all of it. Okay first we woke up at 8h00. We got ready then had breakfast at the hotel. It was Saturday morning in Sarlat and there is a great market there. We adventured around the town for a little bit. Of course I took off by myself and for the first time in a long time, I got lost! I totally got disoriented. I was just wandering down little street after little street, when I realized I really had no idea where I was.
I started to get nervous because I was supposed to be back at the bus in three minutes and I so I pulled out a map that luckily I had grabbed from the hotel the night before and asked for directions. I found out that I was on the completely wrong side of town, so I took I nice morning jog down the main street in the middle of the market.
I made it back and of course people were running late, so it was fine. I got to talk to a French lady in my adventures while I wandered. She asked me all sorts of questions. I told her I was American, because she stopped to talk to me when she saw me taking a million pictures. She asked me what I thought of Obama and if people in the US were suffering financially and what part of the United States I was from. I told her I was studying abroad in Paris for three months and that I was here with my group for the weekend. She told me that she ran a hotel just down the street in this little village. And did I mention that this whole conversation was in French! Yea I was a little surprised too, but I am obviously improving.
We left Sarlat and we headed for some castle. I wish I had written down the name or taken a brochure or something, but I didn’t, so it will just be the castle. It was beautiful and Ally and I LOVED it. We reenacted scenes from Ever After. It was just perfect! The view was beyond amazing too!
We went to Lascaux next. Those are the caves that have those prehistoric paintings in them. I didn’t even realize how much I knew about them until we were there and I realized that I had learned about these caves several times throughout history. They started to tell the story of the 14-year-old boys who discovered it and all that and then I remembered. It was cool to see them. We stopped in a town nearby for lunch.
Chelita, the coordinator from the Kennedy Center at BYU who has been visiting us for the week asked me if I would be the motivator for the group. We have been having a little bit of trouble with the student leaders in the group, so there have been some changes. She asked me if I would keep the group positive, make sure people attend and get to classes and church on time and basically keep an attitude of gratitude throughout the trip. I was flattered that she asked me, but I think that it will help me to be more positive because I feel more of a responsibility to do so for others, rather than just for myself.
Once back on the bus, we found out then that our train back to Paris had been cancelled due to the strike, so we would be staying another night in western France. I was happy about it! That just means that we get to see more of the area and do more exploring.
We were able to go and see a town called Collonges-la-Rouge. It had buildings that were all made from red stone. It was a really pretty town and I was glad we got to explore for a little bit. We checked in at the hotel and I thought I was settled in for the night.
Well I was wrong. I tried to yell at a few people to be quiet, but they informed me we had the whole hotel to ourselves, so I didn’t really have much ground to stand on. Finally I just gave in a played with them all. We played some really fun games and we had a good time as the whole group. I am really glad we got to stay this extra night. It has been a good one.
O I forgot to mention. After we had all finally started to settle down and go back to our rooms it was about 1h00. All of the sound a siren started. I realized it was the fire alarm for the hotel. I went into the hall way to try to figure out what was going on. I couldn’t figure out what floor it was on so I was run up and down the three flights. Some of the girls started evacuating and I figured it couldn’t hurt them to do that, so off they went. I didn’t see any fire or smell any smoke so I thought everything was fine.
Madame came out of her room and I told her that we couldn’t find anyone that worked here. Finally the lady who ran the hotel showed up and she said the alarm had come from the 1st floor (which is what they call the second floor). So we went up to explore and we found that the alarm had been set off in Spencer’s room. When I walked in, it felt like a sauna! He had taken a really hot long shower apparently, and it had triggered the alarm. The lady was super nice about it and she just laughed about it. Leave it to Spencer. That kid cracks me up!
No comments:
Post a Comment