Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 51

Belgium. Well we started out early in the morning. This seems to be a trend when we travel. We needed to be leaving the house at 6h00 so I was up at 5h30. We left the house at 6h10ish. Half way to the metro station we realized that we didnt have our passports. Ally ws carrying the back back and I had the purses, so I ran back to get them, while Ally kept going towards the metro.


I ran home, found the passports, and caught Ally just as she was going down the metro stairs. It was a nice little morning exercise. When we got down to the metro the platform was pretty full and the board saying when the next one would be was blank. Not a good sign. As we talked about what we should do, we saw Jayna and Sutton who live just down the street from us, so we share a metro station. They said they had be waiting almost half an hour and nothing was coming. It was 6h25 and our train to Belgium left at 7h28 from Gare de Nord. It takes about 45 minutes to get there when things go well.


So we decided we better find a new way. We ran to the bus stop and we were lucky; there was a bus leaving in 3 minutes. I thought for sure we wouldn't make it because usually the bus takes longer that it did It was early morning, so there was not too much traffic and not that many people riding the bus. We got off at Chatlet and ran for the 4 metro. We had called the boys to see what was going on and they told us where everyone was and what platform to go to. We ran and just as our group was getting to the train, we found them! We made it without three minutes to spare.


I wish that were the end of our traveling adventures, but it wasn't. We had to change trains in Lille. We had to walk to a different station. Not too far away, but it was still before 9h00 so it might have well been miles. We saw that there was a strike going on and that some of the trains were being cancelled or delayed. Ours ended up being fine, BUT we had to change trains again due to the strike. Ridiculous, but we got to Brugge before noon.


When we got to Brugge, we got to go out on our own for an hour and a half. I got a huge thing of french fries. I also bought amazing chocolate. My body was not pleased with my choice of food for lunch, but when in Belgium... We went out with he group to a church and a museum. Then we went on a boat trip around the city. That was the best art of the town, besides all the food I ate.


We went to the hotel we were going to stay at. It was a really nice hotel. It was the best bed I have slept in while being in Europe. So what did we do? We took a nap from 4-7. I know that it was kind of a waste of time, but I was so tired and I felt like I had seen most of the things in Brugge worth seeing.


When our group goes to hotels, we are usually three to a room. Sutton, Ally and I always room together. After all three of us woke up from our naps, we decided we should go ind dinner. I got us terribly lost and Ally found us again. Little side street in Flemish make me very confused. O yea they speak Flemish in this part of Belgium. It's an insane language (samples to follow).


We went to dinner at a little restaurant that had a Hageen Daas in it. I had spaghetti and was quite happy. Besides the fact that they don't have tap water at restaurants in Belgium and the water we shared cost us 7 and a half euros, it was a good dinner. I had Belgium Chocolate ice cream for desert. So good!


Lille



We got to transfer here-fun times!
Brugge!






Martha, me, Ally, and Sutton





Famous for their lace.








Flemish-any idea what it is saying?
Michelangleo's Madonna


Our Captain-such a funny guy!

Beyond creeper-I hope that this is just up for Halloween



I was so sad this was covered up.































Our hotel-loved it!
Brugge by night
Detour to the windmill-always fun!
Best way to end the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment