Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 72

The day was good. We started out at Paris and took a train from Gare d'Austerlitz (which is right at the other end of our metro line) to Blois which is somewhere southwest of Paris. We got on our bus and we startedour tour of the Loire Valley, home to some of the most beautiful castles in the world.

Our first stop was Le Chateau Royal de Blois. This was a cool one because it is such a good representation of three distinct periods of artcitecture all in one place. There is a gothic side, a renaissance side and a flamboyant side. It is weird to see them all in the same courtyard. I am trying to decide which one I like best. It is definitely between gothic and renaissance.

The next place we went was Le Chateau de Chambord. AMAZING! It was so awesome! I just wondered through the rooms, up and down staircase, twisting here and there. Hallways that just go on and on. The views were incredible and the building was amazingly designed. This was my favorite one of the day and it will be really hard to beat. It felt like being in a fairy tale. I could just imagine what it must have ben like to have the castle filled with people and have all the fires going and have all the furniture and tapestries. All the amazing dresses... Some times I still wish I was a princess. It's every little girl's dream and today I feel like I relived a part of childhood in a grown-up body that really appreciates being a kid sometimes.

Next was Amboise. Leonardo da Vinci partly designed this castle. Not very much of it remains, but it was cool to see the ares. They think that he is buried in the small church that still remains. We also went to Leonardo da Vinci's house, down the street, called le chateau du Clos-Luce. There were some cool models of some of his inventions. The were all over this big park/garden. Some were toys and that made us happy.

We headed to our lovely Etap for the night in Tours, France. This is my last night in an Etap. I have grown fond of these little crappy hotels. I will miss them. Free wifi, showers, what more could I ask for?

I just talked to my family on the phone and they are now on a plane head from Minniaplois to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris! I am beyond excited to see them tomorrow! I also am so exited for them to see Michael. I'm not quite sure of the logistics on that one yet, but I will make it happen! And now, it is time for bed. We have another big day tomorrow.


Chateau Royal de Blois
Flamboyant part
Renaissance part
Gothic part

The were shooting a tv show here, so there was equipment everywhere.


H is for Helvey!




The view


Chambord!!!!


The Double Stiarcase

Real fires!

Really...can I just go to a ball in this?












Ambroise
Da Vinci's grave(they think lol)






Clos-Luce



There was this cool park and of course we had to play. This little contraption was really fun! I could only do it a few times because I got so dizzy!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the picture of your family together in PARIS! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just caught myself up...It had been a couple of weeks. LOVED your pics of Italy. It was so fun to see you in places that were so familiar to me! Made me totally miss it. I hope it works out that your family can all be together at the same time. Ill be missing you greatly in Hawaii :( I actually had to bring my own clothes this time...haha, but thats only the littlest reason why I will miss you. It wont be nearly the same without you. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete